Keep your family nourished and vibrant during the holiday period.
As the temperature rises and the days grow longer, summer offers a perfect opportunity to embrace a healthier lifestyle. Spending time outdoors is a great way to enjoy healthy summer eating. However, it is also important to maintain a balanced diet and get the right nutrients for good health.
Why Watch What You Eat During the Summer Months?
- Higher temperatures and increased physical activity can lead to dehydration.
- Opt for water-rich foods such as cucumbers, watermelons, and oranges to stay hydrated.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to replenish lost fluids.
- Seasonal fruits and vegetables are at their peak during the summer, providing a wide range of essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Include a variety of colorful produce like berries, tomatoes, leafy greens, and bell peppers to maximize nutrient intake.
- Enjoy salads, smoothies, and refreshing fruit bowls to make the most of summer’s bounty.
- Summer often brings more social gatherings, barbecues, and indulgent treats.
- Pay attention to portion sizes and choose healthier options like grilled lean proteins, fresh salads, and whole-grain options.
- Incorporate physical activity into your routine to maintain a healthy weight.
How Healthy Summer Eating Habits Can Keep Your Family Healthy:
Boosted Immune System:
- A well-balanced diet is beneficial for the immune system of your family. It should be rich in vitamins and minerals. This can help to prevent common summer ailments such as colds, allergies, and sunburn.
- Include immune-boosting foods such as citrus fruits, berries, garlic, ginger, and yogurt in your meals.
Increased Energy Levels:
- Proper nutrition plays a crucial role in sustaining energy levels during the active summer months.
- Opt for complex carbohydrates like whole grains, legumes, and sweet potatoes to provide long-lasting energy.
- Snack on nuts, seeds, and Greek yogurt for a protein-rich boost.
Healthy Skin and Hair:
- Summer sun and heat can be harsh on the skin and hair.
- Consume foods rich in antioxidants (e.g., berries, spinach, nuts) to help protect against sun damage and promote skin health.
- Include foods containing omega-3 fatty acids (e.g., salmon, walnuts, flaxseeds) to maintain healthy hair and scalp.
- The abundance of fiber in summer fruits and vegetables aids digestion and prevents constipation.
- Include fiber-rich foods like whole grains, legumes, fresh fruits, and vegetables in your family’s diet.
- Stay hydrated to support proper digestion and prevent digestive discomfort.
- Exposure to sunlight during summer helps the body synthesize vitamin D, which is essential for calcium absorption and bone health.
- Consume foods rich in calcium (e.g., dairy products, leafy greens, fortified plant-based milks) to support bone strength.
- Encourage outdoor activities to promote vitamin D synthesis.
The best way to maximize your healthy summer eating is to get your family tested by a qualified Nutrition Response Testing® practitioner. You will discover exactly what nutrients each person needs and get a clinically designed nutrition program for the family. That will help you focus on nutritious choices that promote health and increase energy levels.
Embrace the summer’s abundance of fruits and vegetables. Incorporate physical activity. Prioritize balanced meals. This will ensure your family stays healthy and vibrant throughout the season.