What you eat has a tremendous impact on your health. This is true for the entire body, but the effects of good nutrition may be greatest on brain health, especially as you age. A qualified Nutrition Response Testing® program will help you develop healthful eating habits and nutritionally support your body towards optimum health.
There are many foods that boost brain health. This is a list of foods that could have a beneficial effect on your brain and mental mood. Including these in your diet can decrease the rate of mental decline and the risk of developing many debilitating diseases.
Foods in your diet that boost brain function and health:
- This favorite has been shown to enhance memory and increase the rate of brain cell growth. The antioxidant properties help to prevent cell damage. It’s believed that blueberries are one of the foods that can help to increase lifespan.
- Cold-water fish. Fish, such as salmon and herring, contain omega-3 fatty acids which have multiple benefits. They build brain membranes and can help to reduce inflammation in the brain.We’re not talking about the chocolate in the checkout line, but real chocolate with a significant percentage of cacao. This is one of the strongest antioxidants you can consume. It’s also been shown to increase blood flow in the brain, which can boost reaction times and improve memory.
- There are health benefits to drinking coffee on a regular basis. Studies show that drinking coffee can lower the risks of getting Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease.
- Olive oil. Olive oil is considered to be one of the few healthy oils you can buy in the local supermarket. One of the benefits is due to the polyphenols in olive oil. Olive oil can lower the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease and improve memory and learning. Use Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Many types of nuts are filled with healthy fats that are beneficial to brain health.
- Several studies have indicated that cranberries are helpful after experiencing a stroke. Recovery occurs faster and is more complete. Cranberries can also reduce the damage caused by a stroke.
- Specifically, egg yolks can be brain-healthy. The high choline content decreases the incidence of senility in seniors. Consider adding an egg a day to your diet, with your doctor’s permission.
- Green leafy vegetables. Vegetables like collard greens, kale, and spinach can slow the decline of cognitive functioning. Two servings each day can reduce the age of your brain by an equivalent of 11 years!
- Like olive oil, avocado contains monounsaturated fat. Avocados lower blood pressure and increase blood flow in the brain. Due to the high calorie content of avocados, many health professionals suggest limiting intake to half an avocado per day.
- Pomegranates or pomegranate juice. A powerful antioxidant, pomegranate minimizes free-radical damage in the brain.
- Green tea. The antioxidant activity of green tea benefits the entire body and provides little caffeine. The tea must be freshly made. There are beneficial substances in freshly made tea that are absent in bottled and powdered teas.
It’s challenging to enjoy life when your health is poor. Increasing the number, and the quality, of years that you enjoy is partially dependent on your diet. It’s easy to include a few of these brain-healthy foods each day. Make it a point to include at least one with each meal. Many of these foods also make excellent snacks!
Avoid waiting until your later years to begin worrying about your brain health. Give it your full attention today. Diet is more effective at preventing health issues than it is at curing them. Start adding these healthy foods to your diet right away.